Sunshine

Talk about movies, and whatnot, upcoming flicks, and current releases.
John Wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Timber Wolf
Mood: Happy

Sunshine

Post by John Wolf »

You guys may also like this trailer, a interesting scenario that in 50 years time the sun is dying and it needs human intervention to survive. :o

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searc ... /trailera/
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

How the hell is that even scientifically possible? From what I know, it'll be billions of years before our sun dies.
XIV
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Dreamer wrote:How the hell is that even scientifically possible? From what I know, it'll be billions of years before our sun dies.

How do we know that? :? Maybe its that old already.
Doruk Golcu
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Doruk Golcu »

Well, I gather that stars go through 'stages' of life, and they have fairly good idea at which stage the sun is. From there, it is straightforward to estimate how much life it has left (mind you, Earth will be habitable for only a fraction of that time, AFAIK).
vrikasatma
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Sometimes, ya just gotta say ... BLEEEE!!
Additional Details: Digg: Gemfinder
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Xocowolf
Twitter: @Xocowolf
Mood: Busy

Post by vrikasatma »

Saw the trailer a few nights ago. Looked great! I understand the extended trailer includes some spoilers, though.

I think according to the storyline, the sun is going through a premature demise due to some spatial phenomena.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/plotsummary
Fenrir
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fenrir »

The sun would be increasing exponentially and would grow dimmer over decades.....and if we miss that....maybe someone will notice mercury is gone :lol: So I doubt we have anything to worry about when it comes to the sun. But as Doctor Who would say,
"You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're gonna get killed by eggs, or beef, or global warming, or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible. Like maybe you survive."
"Nam Sibyllam quidem Cumis ego ipse oculis meis vidi in ampulla pendere et cul illi pueri dicerent 'Sibylla Ti cupisne' respondebat illa 'Cupio mortere'."

-Satyricon
Lycanthrope
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lycanthrope »

From the director of "28 Days Later" and "Trainspotting"? The first one was a very climatic movie and I've heard good things about the latter - it certainly drew my attention.

As for determining the age of the Sun: The scientists can estimate the amount of hydrogen in it by analysing the spectrum of radiation and surely have many other useful tricks, not mentioning their observations as Doruk Golcu said. As far as I know the Sun is halfway through it's lifespan.

I've got one question, though - unrelated with the topic. Does anyone know what the title of the music played in the trailer is?