Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Kansas Tornado Kills 9

Post by Kirk Hammett »

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=70700

:cry:

Absolutely devastating.

I will always, despite my facination for tornadoes, count myself lucky to live where I do, where they are rare. -Knock on wood/touch wood-.

My heart goes out to the people who have lost their homes, and those who lost their lives and their families and friends.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

That must be so scary. :(
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
DarkShadow
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The coffee addicted were

Post by DarkShadow »

Aww :( I feel so bad for all the families
I can proudly say that I am not a stamp of the person beside me

Icon made by Z :D
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Nature can be so beautiful and amazing, but yet it can be so cruel too. :(
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

While at work today, I just so happened to talk over the phone with one of the people that lost their home in the previous tornado storms. I'm not supposed to mention what the call was in regards to, but it's really depressing to see people in such dire straights.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Kaebora wrote:While at work today, I just so happened to talk over the phone with one of the people that lost their home in the previous tornado storms. I'm not supposed to mention what the call was in regards to, but it's really depressing to see people in such dire straights.
Awwww...

I hope everything looks better for them in the future. All they can really do now is look to the future and rebuild and hope that people are kind enough to donate. I will try if there is a way.

I just hope the media don't become vultures over this...hah what am I saying of course they will peck it to pieces!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Darned astonishing; a tornado a mile and a half wide--it wouldn't have even looked like a funnel so much as a wall.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

I heard it was an F-5.. :shudder: To think of something that big an powerful coming at you an you can't stop it..Those poor people :(
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Except in disaster movies, F-5s are almost unheard-of. They're extremely rare. Even the one that plowed through Oklahoma City was an F-4.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kirk Hammett »

It'd have definately appeared to be a wall.

And F5's are uncommon. Perhaps a reason is because they may occur in wilderness areas where destruction to human property is rare, hence it would have been classed as an F1, despite it's size.

I love Twister, that was a brilliant film. Watch the extras and you will get 'Humans Being' by Van Halen. Excellent song.

Anyhow, this was an extremely powerful storm to have been classed at F4.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Aye, now that I'm in Kansas, I know a lot more about what went on - devastation knows no bounds of race, creed or citizenship.
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

I'll huff, and I'll puff, and... let's not go there

Post by Scott Gardener »

The F rating is based on wind speed, not on monitary damage, human lives, or other artificial considerations. An F3 is the same if it's pummelling through downtown Fort Worth, Texas, through wilderness in Wisconsin, or during a dust storm across Utopia Planetia on Mars.

Thankfully, F5s are rare because the amount of updraft force neccessary to generate them simply doesn't happen very much in our atmosphere.

As a side note, hurricanes (and Typhoons) are a different weather phenomenon altogether, though they can and do produce tornadoes. Having spent a summer day running from one, I've gotten to become an amateur meteorologist. Of course, now that I'm in north Texas, it's a good thing I'm familiar with tornadoes. No direct, personal experience, but my wife Cathey got to flee to a basement back in 2000 when one blew up her workplace. So, she's familiar with all kinds of wind phenomena.
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I'll huff, and I'll puff, and... let's not go there

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Scott Gardener wrote:The F rating is based on wind speed, not on monitary damage, human lives, or other artificial considerations. An F3 is the same if it's pummelling through downtown Fort Worth, Texas, through wilderness in Wisconsin, or during a dust storm across Utopia Planetia on Mars.

Thankfully, F5s are rare because the amount of updraft force neccessary to generate them simply doesn't happen very much in our atmosphere.

As a side note, hurricanes (and Typhoons) are a different weather phenomenon altogether, though they can and do produce tornadoes. Having spent a summer day running from one, I've gotten to become an amateur meteorologist. Of course, now that I'm in north Texas, it's a good thing I'm familiar with tornadoes. No direct, personal experience, but my wife Cathey got to flee to a basement back in 2000 when one blew up her workplace. So, she's familiar with all kinds of wind phenomena.
Hmm...there is a system which does it on damage. Im not sure which one it is, or where I heard it, but I watched a lot of tornado and natural disaster documentaries when I was younger; I was obsessed! I don't remember things that well sometimes though.

Here's a site: http://www.tornadoproject.com/fscale/fscale.htm...so it is wind speed and damage which classifies it, together then. Scary! Very scary stuff. Yet I'd love to see one.

I've been in a cyclone (The Australian word for hurricane/typhoon; storm system works opposite) myself. It's not common for them to produce tornadoes here. We do, however, get tornadoes, but in winter rather than summer. We have a tornado alley about 100km from where I live, an hour or so away. I was quite young when it happened so I don't remember much. We lived in a small town for a few years (When I was probably about 2-3) then moved back to the city.

We do sometimes see tornado producing clouds. I've seen mammatus clouds overhead and super cells. But generally, where I live, we just get enormous electrical storms. I am an idiot; they are some of the most dangerous storms and I sit out on the balcony and drink while it goes right overhead. We have some of the most spectacular views of cumulonimbus clouds, especially when storms start and lightning forks across the sky and within cloud masses, and over the ocean.
Aye, now that I'm in Kansas, I know a lot more about what went on - devastation knows no bounds of race, creed or citizenship.
Must be awful to see all that damage!
<b> Pack Drunk</b>