Computer Viruses and Morality

The place for anything at all...
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Computer Viruses and Morality

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

Post your views on people who create computer viruses here, please.
I want to hear people's opinions.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

They're jerks. Nuff said.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Re: Computer Viruses and Morality

Post by Figarou »

cumulusprotagonist wrote:Post your views on people who create computer viruses here, please.

create? CREATE? What's so creative about computer viruses? They only do it to annoy people!! I'm sick of having to buy an anti-virus program every year!! I bet the viruses are coming from the people who make anti-virus programs!!!
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Re: Computer Viruses and Morality

Post by Fullmoonstar »

Figarou wrote:
cumulusprotagonist wrote:Post your views on people who create computer viruses here, please.

create? CREATE? What's so creative about computer viruses? They only do it to annoy people!! I'm sick of having to buy an anti-virus program every year!! I bet the viruses are coming from the people who make anti-virus programs!!!
jeah..sometimes i think so too...they programm the Virus and then offer an Antivirus-Programm....and these Programms are damn expensive....so i am sick of having to buy them too.... :roll:
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Meh...

Post by Wulfur »

lol, well I have not had a virus in over 2 years and I don't own any anti-virus programs. :P you guys just need to not be browsing the web and opening unkown emails. :lol:
One only knows that of which they allow themselves to know.
( http://wulfur.deviantart.com/ )
cumulusprotagonist
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Possessed by the Ghost of Cumulus

Post by cumulusprotagonist »

You could have one and not even know it...
Some malicous (@#$#@#$@!!!!!!!!!!@#$#$@#@@!!!@$%%^$@@$%%#@#$%%$#$#$#^%$$^%$%^$^%$^%#^#%@%@$#^#$^%$^%#^%#%^#$) could try and post one on this sight or a sight you trust. Although if someone posted one on this sight I am sure the Adminsration would take measures to keep people away from harm. However the same can not be said for all web sites. The reason I brought up someone posting a virus on this sight is that if you do not have virus protection and catch the virus before the Administrators find out about the virus you could be in trouble.
Maybe I am wrong...

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!!!!!

Photography by ___________
Photo Manipulation by Z
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I think they waste time making them when there are more interesting and productive things they could be doing. :P
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

If you have the knowledge to create a working computer virus, that's awesome, good for you.

However, if you release it on the public, then you're an asshole and you can go f*** yourself.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Wulfur
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wulfur »

I use trendmicro to scan my comp free and no downloading required.
One only knows that of which they allow themselves to know.
( http://wulfur.deviantart.com/ )
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Wulfur wrote:lol, well I have not had a virus in over 2 years and I don't own any anti-virus programs. :P you guys just need to not be browsing the web and opening unkown emails. :lol:

sometimes you can be tricked into clicking a link thats filled with a virus.

But then again...you can click on a link that "used to" be ok until someone decides to put a virus in its place.

here is an old post.

http://www.thepack.network/thepackboard ... 808#120808

See the link Vuldari provided on top? It used to be our old domain.

(See link below)
http://www.calypso-blue.com/werewolf/vi ... php?t=3693

I dare you to click on it. :evil:
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Every bastard that made a virus should get their genitals removed! :x

It pisses me off when companies who want to sell me their anti-virus software, and try to force me to buy it by, ironically, infecting my comp with malware. :x
THE GAME

My Armory
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

People are too lazy to even go through your garbage to steal your identity anymore. That's what's wrong with the world today, no one wants to work.

:P
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

They're jerks.

Viruses suck, end of story.

Unless being used for good purposes, of course. They're a good way to mess with the enemy's ability to communicate and organize in a war scenario, but there's precious few other good uses for a virus.
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

Weeell, it depends on what type of computer virus we are talking about here. I know that some Anti-Virus programs work by actually creating a virus that will not harm your computer, but will destroy what is. I've actually been experimenting with making a computer virus or two to place on my dad's computer. He is so paranoid about getting one, I want to give him one that will like make a million windows pop up on April 1st or something. (No, I will certainly not release it into the public to infect anyone else. I don't even know how to go from where I am, in terms of the programming.)

On the other hand, the viruses that will actually attempt to destroy your Hard Drive, cause Memory Leakage, or keylog you, or steal personal info...the people who make those need to like...be locked up forever. (Isn't there some underground hacker's convention called DEF-CON or something?)

But really, all these computer viruses are a real pain in the butt. I hate having to buy programs to defend my computer. (Buy? Who buys. I..umm.."have my sources for free software." lets put it that way)

...This is probably the longest and most thoughtful post I have ever posted on The Pack.
Last edited by Spongy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Resistance is futile; you will be assimilated

Post by Scott Gardener »

Computer viruses are an interesting example of the paradox of the human situation. We bend over backwards as a people to prepare ourselves for the prospect that some day we might create new forms of life. And, all the while, under our noses, a few rogues do just that, and the first thing the rest of us have to do is figure out how to get rid of it.

It's debatable whether or not computer viruses can qualify as a life form, but some intellectuals like physicist Professor Stephen Hawking do give them that title. They feed upon data streams and reproduce, evolving over time. Inside our growing medium of data streams, the prospect of life and evolution exists. Right now, it's a very toxic form of life to its environment, but the same has been said of humans. Some day, the same processes that made possible these viruses could show the way for more advanced and benevolent life forms. I hope so, since it's easily foreseeable that in less than a hundred years, the data stream could have direct access to human consciousness.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

Wow, that's deep.

I wonder if in my lifetime they will have sentient robots. Or, on an off note, technology to keep your conciousness around ater death (Such as my brain in a robot body), because I'm an agnostic and I'm terrified by the prospect of non-existence,
XIV
Spongy
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spongy »

Wow Scott! You really know how to get one's brain going.

Dreamer, if you look at the past 10 years of the evolution of technology, you'll see how far the Human race has come. I have a feeling that in about 60 or 70-somewhat years, there will be a way to upload your brain onto a massive Hard Drive, enabling you to exist as data (or even uploading one's whole consciousness), able to go from computer to computer via the Internet. (When you think about it, Humans now aren't really anything but data, but that data comes in the form of DNA, RNA, and stuff in the brain.)

...Not really sure if that was comforting, or if it made you even more afraid. If it did, my bad.
Silverclaw

Post by Silverclaw »

Bunch of asshole losers living in their parents basements :P They have nothing better to do, and would rather do nothing contructive with the computer knowledge they have. They can all die for all I care :evil:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Wulfur wrote:lol, well I have not had a virus in over 2 years and I don't own any anti-virus programs. :P you guys just need to not be browsing the web and opening unkown emails. :lol:
srsly, this is how we get them half the time at work.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Kaebora
Custom Title: Werehare In Disguise
Mood: RAR!

Post by Kaebora »

Long ago, viruses were used as a means to feel superior to others. As a power trip. These days, viruses are used for financial gain, such as identity theft and spam schemes.
Lurking softly, reading your posts, loving your ideas...
-Kaebora
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

What Scott's talking about reminds me of a character from the excellent Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card by the name of Jane. Now, Jane is awesome.

SPOILERS

She was created out of series of networks created to provide instantaneous communication, and somehow became her own sentient being after a period of evolution. Not only that, she's the smartest damn thing EVER, since she's basically a network of every computer in the book that uses the instantaneous... communication... thingy. I forget the name of it.

END SPOILER

On that note, does anyone know if Linux computers are able to get viruses? It seems unlikely, but I want to make sure there isn't a way to screw up my newly fixed computer.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Lupin wrote:
srsly, this is how we get them half the time at work.
True. And some of the idiots I work with still have their gorram preview panes enabled in Outlook (which is our mandatory email system. Yuk).

The entire network had to shut down when somebody in the office came down with the Anna Kornakova virus... half the office had the preview panes enabled so when the bug got into the system it sent itself to the whole corporate address book every time it hit someone with the preview pane enabled... Took over a day for the crap to get cleaned out of the system.

As for Linux viruses... as Linux gets more popular people are going to try writing viruses for the system and, sooner or later, one is going to get written that can slip through securities.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

I hate viruses, my mom downloaded a bad file and now I have the blue screen of death on my comp.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
AladasianTheMeerkat
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Come As You Are
Additional Details: Just your typical loofah sponge killin' anthro meerkat from the Cape... that's all.

Post by AladasianTheMeerkat »

The people who create these annoyances and disrupt the computer's ability to function should themselves be BSOD'ed into oblivion. :D
Neenur Neenur Neenur!