Werewolf character must always struggle with his beast!!!

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Luffs Buff Wuffs!

Werewolf character must always struggle with his beast!!!

Post by Ookami-kun »

This is actually annoying - how come most werewolf characters have that struggle, and that evil werewolves have the beast side accepted as if it was a bad thing!

If the "beast side" is to be analyzed, wolves aren't really much destructive in much sense. In fact, they'd be shy from other people. XP
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Re: Werewolf character must always struggle with his beast!!

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Ookami-kun wrote:This is actually annoying - how come most werewolf characters have that struggle, and that evil werewolves have the beast side accepted as if it was a bad thing!

If the "beast side" is to be analyzed, wolves aren't really much destructive in much sense. In fact, they'd be shy from other people. XP
Maybe it's a "good" cash cow device for ignorant directors to use in their pretty little action films?
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

It's not only in action films. It's in comics, novels and games as well.

Oh and hi kitetsu!
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It's another one of those cliches that's taking its time going away because nobody wants to try to make a serious werewolf film. The consensus in Hollywood is still that werewolves are too difficult to make realistic and that when it comes to horror, fans can't tell the difference between top sirloin and spam, so the only werewolf media that's ever produced is typical generic bullcrap, or directly inspired by that typical generic bullcrap.

Realistically speaking, bloodlust is more of a human trait, but you'll never hear anything like that in a pre-packaged piece-o-crap that we're used to. :P
Rosiewolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Rosiewolf »

I have to agree with you Terastas. And they probably think that they wouldn't make a lot of money off of the film if it was serious. But they don't think of all of the serious werewolf fans that want a real werewolf movie.
Take my advice-- I don't use it anyway
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I suspect that not only is it part of the Formlula, but most people see wolves as fierce even in their packs, when the opposite is the truth.
The Alpha Wolf maintains discipline by pinching, most of the time.
He rarely has to draw blood, and every wolf in his pack will stand with him in times of trouble (seen with my own two eyes).

Perhaps the struggle with "the beast within" is actually a struggle by the Wolf to control the violent and dangerous Human mind, not the reverse.

Now THAT would make one heck of a movie...
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

RedEye wrote:Perhaps the struggle with "the beast within" is actually a struggle by the Wolf to control the violent and dangerous Human mind, not the reverse.

Ryo Narushima would make the perfect candidate for such a scenario.
Fullmoonstar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: ...for science

Post by Fullmoonstar »

RedEye wrote:I suspect that not only is it part of the Formlula, but most people see wolves as fierce even in their packs, when the opposite is the truth.
The Alpha Wolf maintains discipline by pinching, most of the time.
He rarely has to draw blood, and every wolf in his pack will stand with him in times of trouble (seen with my own two eyes).

Perhaps the struggle with "the beast within" is actually a struggle by the Wolf to control the violent and dangerous Human mind, not the reverse.

Now THAT would make one heck of a movie...
Totally ture...i have to agree with that RedEye
never stop dreaming. Otherwise your dreams will never come true.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

But people aren't so cool with humans being evil, unless of course one of the good guys is a human too and plays a prominent role. XD
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

Ookami-kun wrote:But people aren't so cool with humans being evil, unless of course one of the good guys is a human too and plays a prominent role. XD
Those people are vain and have variable amounts of superiority complex as human beings. It's almost always futile to talk sense into them, so why despair so much about their misdeeds when you can try make the plot structure explode on them within a radius as wide as possible? Of course, that's easier said than done. Not being careful could make the product end up like a sloppy version of Earth Maiden Arjuna.
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Being Frank
Mood: Relief

Post by Defensorem Lupus »

Even though there is good and bad to everything, I think it plays in part with the self-destructive nature of human beings that is the most dominant. Like the line original Planet of the Apes: Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] "Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death". Now tell me would you see a wolf do something like this, no, I only condone killing unless it has to do with survival. So if the Planet of the Apes can say this about humans then why not a werewolf movie or book? ??
The wolf is neither man's competitor nor his enemy.
He is a fellow creature with whom the earth must be shared...
If the wolf is to survive, the wolf haters must be outnumbered.
They must be outshouted, out financed, and out voted.
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

Unfortunately for Cornelius, Chimps are also wanton killers, even of their own kind. Orang-Utans are less agressive, but also less developed, evolutionarilly.

That bit of info, I picked up on the Animal Planet channel.

Chimpanzees are our closest neighbours, genetically. I guess that makes it a "Family thing..." :lol: :evil:
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary

Chimps are also wanton killers
RedEye, what exactly do you mean? I am curious, does that mean that Chimps also kill for matters other then survival?
Their narrow and biased attitude must be outweighed by an attitude based on an understanding of natural processes.
-Dr. L. David Mech
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

According to Animal Planet, they kill for the apparent pleasure of killing. It might be a Turf matter, but they prey on smaller monkeys-killing them and tossing them to the ground, uneaten.

A non-group Chimp was attacked and mauled to the point that he would have died later (the death was not shown, just commented on).

Chimps are a known threat to Humans they come across, and they have been documented raiding villages far outside their terrirory; attacking and in one case killing humans.

Cute, they ain't.
Dreamer
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Dreamer »

RedEye wrote:Unfortunately for Cornelius, Chimps are also wanton killers, even of their own kind. Orang-Utans are less agressive, but also less developed, evolutionarilly.

That bit of info, I picked up on the Animal Planet channel.

Chimpanzees are our closest neighbours, genetically. I guess that makes it a "Family thing..." :lol: :evil:
And isn't it true that the most evolved species (Dolphins, apes, ect) are the ones that have the most capacity for evil? I think Temple Grandin said that it could be because a more complex brain has more ways to screw up.
XIV
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

As evolves the Mind, so does the capacity for pure Evil.
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary

And isn't it true that the most evolved species (Dolphins, apes, ect) are the ones that have the most capacity for evil? I think Temple Grandin said that it could be because a more complex brain has more ways to screw up.
As evolves the Mind, so does the capacity for pure Evil.
RedEye and Dreamer you could not have put it any better. This must answer the question as to why it is stereotyped that people go crazy over being a werewolf. The human mind being the most advance is also the most powerful in being direct and indirect. Indirect that we can harness the power of the sun (example A-Bomb) and direct in that if we really wanted to achieve something strong enough and with desire it will happen like psychics and tapping into the universe. Even though it will not be entire Evil, just knowing to much for the sake of goodness.
-Dr. L. David Mech
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

Yeah, the human mind breaking loose.

But then again humans are biased. XD
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

You were bitten by a philanthrope; a kinder werewolf

Post by Scott Gardener »

True; it's not often we see a werewolf who is lycanthropic, philanthropic, and perfectly comfortable with it. "Good guy" werewolves always seem to be at odds with their beastial selves, a la "id vs. superego," whereas werewolves who are happy with lycanthropy are more like Marsha and Eddie Quist from The Howling, villains who see ordinary humans as land sushi.

(I know, technically sashimi, since it's without rice, but not as funny-sounding.)
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
RedEye

Post by RedEye »

While "Good-guy" Werewolves may seem to be counter-intuitive, real Wolves are always interested in the good of the Pack.
If the Werewolf saw his/her circle as "Pack", or even his/her city as "Pack" I suspect the same thing would happen.

Since both Humans and Wolves are socially dependent creatures, the Werewolf gets it from both directions. Hmmm, that might make a Werewolf a "Social Model" if both mindsets kicked in...protect and aid the Pack.

Fuzzy and Toothy Boy-Scouts, anyone? :lol: :wink:
Defensorem Lupus
Legendary
Legendary

Then it becomes all relative.
:shift: = good
:shift: = bad/evil

Just depends on the person(s) and situation(s).
-Dr. L. David Mech
WerewolfKeeper3
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Darkness Surrounds me, Chaos commands me, and i see what others cannot

Post by WerewolfKeeper3 »

(I did find an interesting short story about a good werewolf. "The Compleat Werewolf" tells of a man who chooses to become a werewolf for the "fun" of it. I liked it. First time i saw a werewolf story where the humans are the bad guys, and the werewolf is the hero. :D )
Back to the thread,
I think when humans "fight the beast" instead of seeing an evil in themselves they have to deal with, they need to see an animal they can place all blame on, and not feel guilty. Hence, the wolf being used as a sign of evil, and the preverbial scaegoat. I wonder: what would humans blame if the wolves vanished from the planet. Indeed, what if all the animals dissappeared from the planet, save humans. What would they blame then?
No what you have are bullets in the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you'll all be before you've reloaded.
V, from V for Vendetta.

What a strange creature is man, that he cages himself so willingly?
-Athena from Appleseed (2004)
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.

Post by WereWolfBoy »

every human has evil but they don't realize it because they are cught up in being human too much like i was a one point in my life but then i realized the beast within
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

Yes that is true, no matter who you are there is always at least a little part of you who wants to run something down and rend it limb from limb so that you may survive another day, but then who really is put into that situation? :? i'd love to experience a situation like that so that i may know my beastly side. :) it would be the best way to find out about ones self. :|
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Ookami-kun
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Ookami-kun »

Humans are humancentric, but then again animals are "centric" to their own race.