painting elephants

The place for anything at all...
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

painting elephants

Post by PariahPoet »

This is pretty amazing what this elephant can do. Not only does it prove that this elephant understands and is proficient in the use of tools, but more importantly, it shows that she can understand abstract concepts. She grasps that a two-dimensional image can represent an elephant.

it makes me wonder just how much more goes on in their minds than we give them credit for.
I would love to spend some time studying these painting elephants. It seems like they have the potential to use a written pictographical language.

http://www.noob.us/entertainment/an-ele ... elephants/
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

I gotta look at that a couple of more times, but I tend to agree.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Spiritbw
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Spiritbw »

Well, Elephants are pretty smart. They are one of the few animals(dolphins being the other that comes to mind) that when shown a mirror realize it's thier reflection and not another animal. If it can do a painting of another elephant, in effect trying to do on paper what it sees that's rather impressive. Usually you get bright splashes of colour and a mess.
Renorei
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Renorei »

Are there any other elephants that are actually painting things, or are the rest of them just painting abstract shapes and lines? If this elephant is the only one that is representing 3d objects in 2d art...well, maybe she's just a genius elephant.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Wow...thats quite incredible. Here I was thinking I was gonna click the link and have to try and find an elephant shape in an abstract mess. Boy was I blown away. Thats incredible! Better then some humans can do!
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Anónimo Juan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anónimo Juan »

I don't know, sometimes in circus, they train elephants to do things they wouldn't do with hits and stuff, I hope this is not the case.
ravaged_warrior
Legendary
Legendary

Post by ravaged_warrior »

Now, see, when it's abstract, I don't trust it. There's no proof that they just aren't rubbing brushes on the canvas as a form of mimicry or because they like the colors. This example is obviously something intentional, so that's pretty cool.
"We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town."
-Jack Handey
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Not so abstract! The image shows at least one elephant actually drawing a recognizable picture...which is incredible.

There is only one flaw with Pariah's idea of an elephant picture language...since they never forget, why write it down? (joking) :lol:

I know: so dumb human mahouts can get them what they ordered.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

You are the only light there is for yourself my friend