Arthur C. Clark 1913-2008

The place for anything at all...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Arthur C. Clark 1913-2008

Post by RedEye »

Arthur C. Clark, visionary and writer passed away in his home in Sri Lanka today.
He first concieved of the communications sattelite in 1945, and the sychhronous orbits they orbit in are called Clark orbits today.

He wrote the novel/movie 2001, and many other Science-Fiction novels, as well as many purely Science books during his life. He showed the future when it was still unrealized. He overcame Polio as a child and was recovered for many years; only to be stricken by the residual damage as he aged and was in a wheelchair for the last few years.
He could write. He'll be missed. :(
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Baphnedia

Post by Baphnedia »

Indeed; he was one of my favorite authors (and was still writing new stuff for the whole of his life). He will be missed.
*quotes Redeye*
Everyday should be Towel Day.
Sekrit Identity: What?
Paradice Games: .com, Forums & Facebook
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

I'm very saddened by this. It was Clarke who said "A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." His influences in science fiction are enormous.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

... wow... THis means the Big Three of acience fiction are all dead... :(
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Kzinistzerg wrote:... wow... THis means the Big Three of acience fiction are all dead... :(
Oddly enough, I've noticed that Science-Fiction per se is a dwindling category in most bookstores, and is being replaced by Fantasy. That is a real pity, when you think of all the things that Sci-Fi actually brought into reality.

I suspect that nowadays, trying to second guess what Science will come up with next is getting harder and harder to do; outside of the established lines that have been around forever. New stuff that isn't already in someone's lab, or being experimented with, is getting hard to figure out.
What Sci-Fi is out there seems more and more either tinged with fantasy or is semi-soap opera. The only really active venues seem to be based on something currently running, like BS Galactaca or Star Trek.
Times are changing.
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...