Werewolf Breeds

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Werewolf Breeds

Post by WolvenOne »

Here's something else I just realized.

Although I cannot name them all, and I think more then a few of them are having population troubles. There are sometimes different breeds of wolf in certain parts of the united states.

For example, in the south, there's a very rare kind of wolf called the Red Wolf.

This might seem, silly, but, would there be just as many kinds of werewolf? If not, why not? And if there is only one sort of werewolf modeled after a certain type of wolf, what sort of wolf are they modeled after?

What about Dire Wolves? Thier extinct now but assuming that the virus has been around that long, they could still be spreading around thier DNA.

I don't exact this topic to be too important but, might as well tackle this issue anyway.
ShadowFang
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Happy

Post by ShadowFang »

Red werewolf?

Greater Dire Werewolf?

Kinda sounds like the elements of a RPG. :wink:
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Possibly

Anyhow, I doubt this subject will come up in movies, but I think this is a valid subject.

Besides, it might help us get a better idea of how this werewolf virus works. After all, I doubt that all the werewolves are having the exact same strand of Werewolf DNA instilled upon them.

They'd all look, almost identical if they were.

So I'm thinking that, perhapes this virus periodically jumps to a wolf or general cannine host and absorbs some new DNA before being introduced back to humans.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

If the Disease/Curse/Whatever is Genetic in origin, and it has been around for a long time, mutation and evolution would come into play, I would think. Even if all werewolves could be traced back to a single source, European Werewolves would evovle to be a bit different than American WereWolves, and so fourth. ( Suddenly the title AWIL brings new Ideas to mind. ...though I've never acually seen the whole movie. :( )
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

This is true.... and it would be very interesting to see werewolves that've adapted to different climates.

Though I do think that making this virus, spreadable to normal wolves, would probably be beneficial.

If the virus is always mutating, allowing for subtle differences in every werewolf infected. Then, unless it occasionally absorbed some new wolf DNA, the creature people would be turned into when infected, would have long since ceased being wolf-like.

Of course, all of this is impossible anyway, so we could always just ignore this.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

Hmm, actually, it's my understanding that human DNA is diverse enough to theoretically create any animal on earth with a little rearranging.

So I suppose the genetic differences from werewolf could simply be the result of a persons own unique human DNA and not the result of the actual virus.

Besides, you always run the risk or the virus finding its way into a french poodle somehow. *Shudders at the thought of a werepoodle*
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

WolvenOne wrote:If the virus is always mutating, allowing for subtle differences in every werewolf infected. Then, unless it occasionally absorbed some new wolf DNA, the creature people would be turned into when infected, would have long since ceased being wolf-like.
I almost hate to mention this, but I think that would actually be a very logical excuse for the Werewolves in this movie to look a bit more unique. Werewolves are a being seperate from wolves or humans. They are both...and yet neither. This could also explain why traditional werewolves don't quite look like wolves.
WolvenOne wrote:
Besides, you always run the risk or the virus finding its way into a french poodle somehow. *Shudders at the thought of a werepoodle*
WerePoodle!!!! :twisted: 8) :roll:
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

WolvenOne wrote: Besides, you always run the risk or the virus finding its way into a french poodle somehow. *Shudders at the thought of a werepoodle*
Well, actually…

There are only three “species” of wolves in the world. Grey, Red, and Ethiopian. There are about 300 red wolves left in the world. The members of this population are slightly smaller than grey wolves, and located in the reintroduction areas around North Carolina. ( I’ll skip the gory details)

Ethiopian wolves are found…well in Ethiopia. They are the most endangered species of wolf in the world. The African wild dog is, to my knowledge, the most endangered canine in the world. Please note the number I mentioned above; red wolves are the third most endangered species of canine in the world.

Anyway, my point here is that all other wolves that you are accustomed to seeing are all grey wolves: Arctic Wolves, Great Plains Wolves, Eastern Timber Wolves, Mexican Wolves. The only thing that distinguishes these wolves is the geographic region in which they live. There are theories that the reason that arctic wolves are primarily white is the fact that a white wolf would be a better hunter, and therefore more likely to be well fed. This would make it more likely to become Alpha and therefore more likely to pass on its genes. This in turn makes its offspring more likely to be all white, so on and so forth. All wolves have the genes to make them any color, but their heredity determines which color they will be.

About the were poodle comment, all canines have the same DNA. Wolves, Coyotes and Domestic Dogs, can all interbreed. This fact was almost the undoing the red wolf. At one time only 15 pure Red Wolves existed because their numbers had dropped to such small numbers that they were interbreeding with coyotes just to survive.
Last edited by Treads Lightly on Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
akujiwolf

Post by akujiwolf »

Well as far as the movie goes, it is basically one central location and the breed of wolf that the werewolf is based off of probably won't come into play.
~Request Entertainment Member~ (we get T-Shirts!) Also if there is a problem that you feel needs to be addressed please contact me immediately.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vuldari »

=^.^'= ~
NightmareHero
Legendary
Legendary

Post by NightmareHero »

akujiwolf wrote:Well as far as the movie goes, it is basically one central location and the breed of wolf that the werewolf is based off of probably won't come into play.
Its good to leave some thing ambigious so that people can discuss it later, and hopefully spread good word of mouth about this movie when released.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I didn't think this would really play into the movie any, but, we might as well tackle any stray issues we can, just to get them out of the way.
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary

Post by WolvenOne »

I didn't think this would really play into the movie any, but, we might as well tackle any stray issues we can, just to get them out of the way.
Treads Lightly
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Treads Lightly »

Vuldari wrote: I didn't make that WerePoodle comment originally...WolvenOne did.
sorry, my bad.
Vuldari wrote: If two werewolves were to run into each other, they might have distinct differences, such as height, muscle build, thickness of fur, color, etc. They would still be the same kind of WereWolf, so to speak, but also different the way an Ethiopian wolf is from a Red wolf, or an afriican man is from a Hispanic one.
I agree with you on this. Werewolves shouldn’t look like a cloning experiment gone horribly wrong.