Scent Glands?

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

when dogs smell each other's butts, they are smelling each other's genitals so see what rank are they in the canine hierarchy.

now you know
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Anubis wrote:when dogs smell each other's butts, they are smelling each other's genitals so see what rank are they in the canine hierarchy.

now you know
And thats why I am the Alpha male over my dog. :jester:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

ewww!!!!! do you know what you just said!!! :sickpup:
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Ofcourse. It was meant to disgust you. And I was joking, *hint the jester emoicon*
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

i know, but still... ew!
THE GAME

My Armory
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Anubis, your far too easy to disgust. :lol:
Image Image
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anubis »

:thpt2:
THE GAME

My Armory
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

*coughs* :lol: well my opinion to say they scent glands would be located on the WW body hair I mean fur, cause you know if you pet a dog they have a smell on there fur If I'm correct or that dogs just stink.
"lolis"
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Nah mate the glands just produce a musky secretion that scents the fur around it. And everything else!!! Saying that, My dog smells but not unpleasant, just ... err...doggy I suppose. But I think it changes with species (or maybe its cos he's had his balls chopped) cos I always know when there's been a fox in the garden. VERY strong.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

lupine wrote:But I think it changes with species
Not only species, but breed as well. Some breeds of dogs smell worse than others. Yorkies stink to high heaven, while my poms have little scent unless they're wet or very close to you.
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

Would the fact that genetically the werewolf is half man half beast, have a bearing on how many scent glands they had, and would the potentcey of the scent be affected, a kind of dulled down weaker scent? :?

Just wondering if the human side of things would water the whole thing down a bit. I know we all have pheromones but we're not really aware of them. :wolfsheepclothing:
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

I dont think human scent potency is actually lower then other animals. I think that we give off normal scents, and our noses just suck.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Darth Canis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Darth Canis »

*rubs hands together* scent glands huh hehe. Having worked at a vet and experienced these glands first hand let me tell you a little bit about them. Well all dogs have scent glads from the little guys all the way up the gamit. Now scent glands in most domestic breeds are more residual now (they don't really use them). Now the scent glands i am specifically referring to are know as anal glands. This could get kind of gross so if your squemish about this kind of this well yeahs. The anal glands are located inside the dogs rump there are a pair right at the entrance of the anus. Now usually these glands "express themselves" when the animal defecates. But in domestic breeds sometimes this doesn't always occur especially the smaller breeds. So the doc has to go in and do this for them so they don't become impacted and infected. (Just got a funny picture in my head of a vet with a big long rubber glove on holding up a scared gestalt werewolf's tail asking him if he was ready lol) These glands though are normally only designed to express when the animal defecates so it contains phermones and other info that other animals in the wild might be looking for. So my hazard to guess is concerned these glands that a werewolf in full wolf form would have them but not in gestalt and certainly not human. Also i don't think said werewolf would smell because of them at least not that a human could detect with our noise but maybe they would have an underlying scent in which to detect other werewolves. My take on it anyways.
The little girl who always wanted to fly an x wing and be raised by wolves... Come to think of it she still does.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

a hybrid system seems to me to make the most sense.

A werewolf with human like sweat glands "and I hope I used the right word sweet or sweat" :? Only with more between the pads of the feet or hands "like scratch a tree and leave a scent" maybe not the anal ones as humans lack that.
But humans do give off pheremones just as other animals do, we may not smell them but they still affect us. so I can see a werewolf smelling these to locate other werewolves in anyform it may have.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

*cough*
sort of like what wolves do.
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

>A werewolf with human like sweat glands

Actually, there are three types of sweat glands:
sebaceous (oil), apocrine (body odor), and eccrine (largely water)

Humans have several million eccrine sweat glands, concentrated on the palms, armpits and soles of the feet. Ecrrine sweat glands are also scattered all over the body, helping humans to cope with heat.

In contrast, wolves and dogs do not produce sweat for thermoregulation. Canine eccrine glands are only found on the nose and the pawpads, keeping those sections of skin moist.

Apocrine glands are scattered across a dog's body, but are especially concentrated near the ears.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

canine thermoregulation is mainly done on th toungue and through panting...so yeah i guess they wouldnt sweat as much....but if human first then bitten maybe they would carry some traits over to the were form as like they would carry some traits frome were to human form.....if they had increadse sences in human form maybe they would have some form of increased sweat glands in were form.. :)
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

White Paw wrote:canine thermoregulation is mainly done on th toungue and through panting...so yeah i guess they wouldnt sweat as much....but if human first then bitten maybe they would carry some traits over to the were form as like they would carry some traits frome were to human form.....if they had increadse sences in human form maybe they would have some form of increased sweat glands in were form.. :)
I really like this idea. They always show advantages carried over to human from wolf like strength, stamina, agility, and enhanced senses. But never anything carried from human to wolf forms, aside from shape.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
howlbigbadwolf
Legendary
Legendary

If we have swet glans dose that mean that werewolfs Swet too

Post by howlbigbadwolf »

Well I want sent glans because i want everyone to know where i have been and female werewolfs would be all over me :lol: But if we are werewolfs dose that mean we can swet Too, not to say that i dont like panting letting my long, strong wet toung hang out.....think about it girls LOL :P you know you want me. 8)
I live for the Moon
If you love werewolfs and Comics http://www.alphaluna.net/index.php
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/adult/home.html