He will be missed :( :cry:
I cant believe he's dead, he really did kindof seem invincible :(
Anook
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dogs are miracles with paws

Post by Anook »

He did.

Thats why I acted so shocked when he died.
For a sec. there, I just couldn't believe it. :cry:
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

he did incredible things for wildlife conservation. Not only that, he loved the "ugly" animals :}
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

It's just not frigging right! He should have been alive ten or fifteen years from now, hair graying, still out there, face to face with the world's wildlife.

Stingrays--I did not expect them to be his downfall. They're docile creatures overall. I've petted one at an aquarium exhibit in Las Vegas. (it was a tiny one.) Most of the time people are hurt by them only when they accidentally step on one. A barb through the chest, especially by an experienced biologist like Steve Erwin, is a very freakishly abnormal thing.

And, a great man has been lost. While the rest of us talked about how important it is to preserve the rain forest, he took us there and put directly in our face what was at stake and why it was so important. Others continue this legacy, but he can never be replaced.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Yeah. It sucks that he died. He was a great guy.

You'd have figured the crocs would've got him. Him getting killed by a stingray is totally out of left field.
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

he will be missed thats for sure......... :( lck
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

This is the same person who was kissed in the face by the world's deadliest snake. He's held in his hands enough poison to kill most of Australia. His close calls are legendary. And, his knowledge and experience at handling danger equally legendary. I would never have expected him to go this way.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

yes its very unfortunate....... im more shocked than anything else about it.
And what really gets me is the news here isnt really talking about it. hell i found out this morning on the forum...when i turned on CNN they didnt talk about it for a good 20 minutes.......very shocking :(
lupine
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lead us Not into Temptation.... I can find the way by myself
Mood: Meh...

Post by lupine »

:mourn: What can I say? I'm gutted.

Yes, he lived on the edge, he knew what he was doing though.

I think most people expected him to meet his end prematurely. Doesn't make it any nicer. We've all got to go sometime, but when it's someone so full of life and enthusiasm, well it just seems so unfair.

He's going to be missed not just by his family, but by fans all over the world.

When my 10 yr old son heard about it today he just stared and said 'does that mean he won't be on the tele anymore?' He's spent most of the day in his room, watching Croc Hunter over and over on DVD.

He was a good man, he will be missed. May he rest in peace.
Well be, thy one. And wisdom too. And grew, and joyed in my growth. From a word to a word, I was led to a word. From a deed...to another deed.

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

I think animal planet is still going to broadcast his show.
I could care less if I am a "freak". I don't care what other people think about me. I am me. I am different from the masses of society in unique and profound ways, anyway. Being physically different would trouble me not
Ancient
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keeper of useless knowledge and information

RIP Steve Irwin

Post by Ancient »

I recived sad news about the death of Steve Irwin commanly known as "The Crocodile Hunter" having known him for a small amout of time. I was deeply saddened by this news. He was killed not by a crocodile, but by a stingray. The stingray has a barb on the end of it's tail. Apparently Steve was in the wrong place and the stingray's barb hit him in the chest puncturing his heart. Please use tact in expressing you feelings on this matter. Thank you.

Here is a link for more information about this sudden and tragic loss.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/09/0 ... k=news_tkr
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

there's already a thread on this topic.

http://calypso-blue.com/werewolf/viewtopic.php?t=3223

Still sad though :(
White Paw

Post by White Paw »

just to let you know someone has already beat you to it and its posted in the non-were section.... :D :lol:
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

I still can't believe he's gone though.

I never thought that this would happen. :cry: :cry:
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Why is it that the good dies young? :cry:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Ancient
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Keeper of useless knowledge and information

Post by Ancient »

My appologies for posting this a second time. I didn't see it in the nonwere section, but of course I have not been thinking to clearly today and have spent much of the day on the phone. Fox News is doing a live special currently in their second hour on the death of this extrodinary man. It's amazing the wonderful things people have said are truely touching. He will be very much missed.

:( :cry:
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

I heard yesterday on my way home from Uni. I was so shocked when I got the message. Over here he wasn't hugely liked because of the image he gave Australia and all this silly stuff he did with his kid...

But that's totally NOT the point. The guy was 44, he did love animals, he was trying to conserve our environment, he made a few public errors so what. He's dead now, he has a family, and a lot of people loved him. He'll be sorely missed so I wish him well in his next life.

All I can say is at least he went doing what he loved; but he should have been really old when it happened. Like I'd like to die with my guitar or doing something I love...but not at 44, at like 80. Anyhow I hope his family are okay...well they won't be, of course, but I hope the media doesn't crawl over them like scavengers and vultures. :x

Also, this is a guy who could have been a David Attenborough...old and doing documentaries still. What a waste, and a pity. I also didn't expect him to die that way.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
forsaken_wolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Present of Darkness

Post by forsaken_wolf »

He had coming for him, trying to feed his baby to an alligator j/k but anyways yea its too bad he's dead, it was kind of shocking that he really died, but its like what I said before "he had it coming for him" well now we have to be careful about the ocean where the stingrays live and less more careful then the swamps where alligators live :lol: j/k. (Well what I was told a sting ray killed him cause it shocked him near the chest or something or maybe something else, cause I missed it on the news)
"lolis"
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Steve Irwin will be missed. :(

Steve Irwin tribute
fredriksam
Legendary
Legendary

Post by fredriksam »

Oh no, that is just so sad :( :( :( :( .

I have seen many programs with Irwin and he had some close calls but always knew what he was doing. His death is just so unfair!!!

The way he died must have been a freaking accident. One of these that seems unnutural.

Hopes animal planet/Discovery makes a program about his legendary life, because he IS legendary. I also hope that the news not are crawling all over his family.
Oh what a funny werewolf i am. come joining the eating party...
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets
Mood: Indifferent

Post by MoonKit »

Wow, really? I would have guess that one of the crocodiles would have gotten him. I feel bad for his wife.
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Timber-WoIf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Timber-WoIf »

i feel kinda bad saying this, but as soon as i heard the news, the first thing that popped into my head was him saying "i probibly shouldn't do this..."

sucks he was killed, though. one of the best guys.................
Deviantart? Why'd I do this?
I am relentlessly agressive

Image<--- THEY PWN U
Wolfhanyou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Wolfhanyou »

I was extremely shocked at the news. The man was one of my top childhood idols as a kid. God I can't imagine what the loss must be like for his family. From what I've learned though, he accidently cornered the ray, so I take it he wasn't actually messing around with it.
Boo
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

that's not what i heard.
He was smimming over it and he startled it, so it lashed out it's tail. He could have been easily stung somewhere else, but it hit his chest. Poor guy....
Anook
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Anook »

Well, I read that the stingray was 250 pounds, so it was pretty big.
It wasn't one of those small ones you see in Gulf Shores from time to time.
I also read that ABC has asked the family if they could show the tap of him being attack by the stingray, but the family hasn't responded yet.
We'll here something about it in the next couple of days.