Werewolves and talking

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Flicking ears in semaphore?

Presenting the Semaphore version of Freeborn!

flap, flap, flap, flap, flicker, flap, flap, flap
(subtitle:"Break it off with her, Jack!")

flap, flap, flap, flap, flap, flap.
(subtitle: "I can't force that kind of choice on her!")
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Vilkacis
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Vilkacis »

Scott Gardener wrote:Flicking ears in semaphore?

Presenting the Semaphore version of Freeborn!

flap, flap, flap, flap, flicker, flap, flap, flap
(subtitle:"Break it off with her, Jack!")

flap, flap, flap, flap, flap, flap.
(subtitle: "I can't force that kind of choice on her!")
Heh. I'll bet you never know what you're saying if you hold your head out the window while driving.

Werewolf 1: flap, flap, flappity, flap-flap

Werewolf 2: Why you... I oughtta'...

-- Vilkacis
WolvenOne
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Right-Wing WarMongering Artsy-Fartsy Woof

Post by WolvenOne »

Figarou wrote:
WolvenOne wrote:As I've suggested before, werewolves are likely to communicate via a veriety of different means..... such as simplistic words, body language, hand motion, and how they hold themselves.

Kinda an.... impromptu language.

Or if details really important, they can grab one of those cheap walkie talkies and tap on em to create Morris Code.

and how they hold themselves? ??

Hmmm...example, please? :D
You know, thier stance, are they standing up straight and looking confident or slouching and cringing away from people looking diminitive. That sort of thing.
InViSibLe_2_aLL
Pack Member
Pack Member

Post by InViSibLe_2_aLL »

I see them talking like Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing, when he howl-crys for the girl when she dies (don't remember her name..) He howls in wolf form, then when he becomes human it twists around to a Nooooo sound :D
Clever men might argue whether he had been given the soul of a wolf, though born as a human being. What others chose to think or what he chose to think was no good to him at all. It left the wolf inside him just the same.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

WolvenOne wrote:
Figarou wrote:
WolvenOne wrote:As I've suggested before, werewolves are likely to communicate via a veriety of different means..... such as simplistic words, body language, hand motion, and how they hold themselves.

Kinda an.... impromptu language.

Or if details really important, they can grab one of those cheap walkie talkies and tap on em to create Morris Code.

and how they hold themselves? ??

Hmmm...example, please? :D
You know, thier stance, are they standing up straight and looking confident or slouching and cringing away from people looking diminitive. That sort of thing.

Oh..gotcha. :D
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Go My Tediz Go To Ze Trenchez

Post by DarkWolf »

WoooooW,That was freaky,i clicked the link didnt watch the download anymore and headset on,then it begins,i THOUGHT THERE WAS STANDING SOMEONE BEHIND ME IT SCARED THE s*** OUT OF ME :(

*Crawls In Dark corner...*
*Cant sleep wolf will eat me,cant sleep wolf will eat me*
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

DarkWolf wrote:WoooooW,That was freaky,i clicked the link didnt watch the download anymore and headset on,then it begins,i THOUGHT THERE WAS STANDING SOMEONE BEHIND ME IT SCARED THE s*** OUT OF ME :(

*Crawls In Dark corner...*
*Cant sleep wolf will eat me,cant sleep wolf will eat me*

:roflmao:

:biteme:
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by DarkWolf »

thats not funny :(
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

:biteme: Is a bit funny, you have to admit that.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by DarkWolf »

OOOH YEAH U THINK THATS FUNNY HUH,I KILL U FOR THAT :shift: BRING IT ON :howl:  :oo
Kzinistzerg
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kzinistzerg »

*eats darkwolf after picking ot the red hot needle he had in his backside, causing his sponaneoush holding of the shift key*

EDIT: wait a second... shift key? hehehe...
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by DarkWolf »

Ur Freaky :o
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Shadowblaze wrote:
Yup, the werewolf's favorite function on the computer keyboard. :shift:
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Figarou wrote:
Shadowblaze wrote:
Hopefully most become just as familiar with the Control key!
:coolshift:
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
DarkWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by DarkWolf »

Kavik wrote:
Figarou wrote:
Shadowblaze wrote:
Hopefully most become just as familiar with the Control key!
:coolshift:

Hahahahahahaha :lol: ....................I Dont Get It :?
Bowtie
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Bowtie »

Wow. I haven't posted here in such a long darn time (and then, only a couple of times,) I'm amazed I remembered my username and password.

For the record, the short werewolf "movie" that somebody linked in the initial post to this topic was made by Rowsby, of course. He used to be a pretty good friend of mine, but at this point I haven't really talked to him in years, since he moved.

He's a top-notch animator and graphic artist; he obviously did "Quentin" by himself.

Quick note, though, since this topic is about what a werewolf would *sound* like. Rowsby voiced Quentin himself.

He *may* have slowed down the playback slightly in order to get the deeper voice, but it's most certainly possible for a "regular human" to sound that way. :) It just takes practice, and is particularily hard on the throat.

Because of my potential anal retentiveness and a healthy nitpicker's sense, I'm going to refrain from talking about how a werewolf "could" talk. :) However, I think Quentin is a good example of how a werewolf "would" talk, if it could.
Kavik
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Kavik the Wolf-Boy
Mood: Busy

Post by Kavik »

Bowtie wrote:Because of my potential anal retentiveness and a healthy nitpicker's sense, I'm going to refrain from talking about how a werewolf "could" talk. :) However, I think Quentin is a good example of how a werewolf "would" talk, if it could.
Well said! That's an astute way to express oneself when dealing with the details of possibilities.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Give a man a poisoned fish, feed him for life.
- Crazy Ivan (aka Kavik)
http://s3.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=167865
http://www.geocities.com/crazy_ivan_thx11/Talbot.htm
jwoulf
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change
Custom Title: I'M CUTE AND FLUFFY GOD DAMMIT!!!

Post by jwoulf »

The Rowsby video you posted the link to is exactly how I imagine a werewolf talking...
Howls,
Ian "jwoulf" Johnson
http://www.jwoulf.net
Mercedes_Maxwell
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Mercedes_Maxwell »

I don't think anyone posted about this, but there are a lot of posts and I don't want to read through them all. :lol:

I was watching a show on amazing animals and they showed this one dog that could mimic what people said. The dog could say an intelligible "I love you" and they even almost got him to say the name of the show. It was really quite amazing to see that a dog can make sounds so close to ours. So, if a werewolf really tried they could make sounds like ours, but I don't think it would sound remotely human. The dog would make barking like sounds and I guess modify the way they came out to make intelligible words in our language.
Maybe this world is another planets hell - Aldous Huxley

Part of the CGFA (Cat Girl Fetish Anonymous)
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

I rove-ru!

Post by Scott Gardener »

Mentioned it. The talking dogs sound kind of yowly, but they do make words. One can extrapolate that a werewolf might sound similar, but with a deeper voice because of the larger size.

One could I suppose find a soundbite of the talking dog and then use a DSP program (such as one of various Winamp plug-ins) to lower the frequency. Then you know how a werewolf says, "I love you." (That conjures up some thoughts, but I won't go there.)
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Re: I rove-ru!

Post by Figarou »

Scott Gardener wrote:Mentioned it. The talking dogs sound kind of yowly, but they do make words. One can extrapolate that a werewolf might sound similar, but with a deeper voice because of the larger size.

One could I suppose find a soundbite of the talking dog and then use a DSP program (such as one of various Winamp plug-ins) to lower the frequency. Then you know how a werewolf says, "I love you." (That conjures up some thoughts, but I won't go there.)

Yes, but the shape of the muzzle and the fangs may prevent them from saying words properly.

Pretend you have fangs. Try and say the word "fight." It may sound like "right" instead of "fight."
Jamie
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Jamie »

I see them talking like Hugh Jackman in Van Helsing, when he howl-crys for the girl when she dies (don't remember her name..) He howls in wolf form, then when he becomes human it twists around to a Nooooo sound
This is about as far as I personally would want it to go, too.

From what you all have said (I've seen the mimic dogs on TV too) it is obvious that a werewolf, with enough experience and practice, could learn to kind-of, sort-of talk. But I think that what could happen is sometimes a moot point, if it won't carry the story well. Talking werewolves could backfire very easily, and make Freeborn a laughing stock. Pantomiming werewolves, in the right situation, might be okay. Any intelligent werewolf can attempt to get a human to follow them to the site of the car accident ala Lassie. But I do not want a Scooby-Doo clone voice. Talking werewolves are too cartoony, in my opinion. That was one of the things wrong with "Cursed".
-Jamie Hall
Do you like monsters? See Monster Mania!
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

hey, I liked that part with Cursed, where the werewolf flicked them off,"LIAR" :D that was one of the coolest and funniest things I saw in a werewolf movie(finaly something to laugh in these type of flicks) :lol:
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

Jamie:
Pantomiming werewolves, in the right situation, might be okay.
Hmm...

Aside from the obvious "glass box" routine, there's Charades...

"Ah!!! What's happening to you! OK, first syllable! Looking? No, buttoning a shirt? Wear? Yes, Wear! OK, second syllable, all fours... howling... Bark? Woof? Sounds-like... Oh, wolf! You're a werewolf! OK, I'm going to continue panicking. Ahh!!!"
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

If I echo thoughts and poitns made here, I applogize.

These are merely my opinions with the brief run down I gave the post. :)

Biologically speaking the human head, tongue, mouth and vocal cords have evolved so that we Can Have Speech. The way our throat is set up makes us very vunerable to choking, but enhances our ability to speak. Our ;ips, cheeks, mouth shape, tongue, vocal cords, and placement of vocal cords in the throat give us the ability to speak. Tweek with ONE of those features, and you get all kinds of speech impediments.

No other animal has the equipment we have. Great Apes are close, but still no-go.

Wolves don't have the same set up. They can mimic sounds to a certain extent. "Talking Dogs" can say -vowel- sounds. 'I wuh ewe' Hard consanants would be near impossible. Use fo snapping teeth, clicking jaws, deeper throat grunts, you might be able to get some semblence of a hard consanant. NOW if the werewolf in particual spoke a more vowel-based language, they could possibly make themselves understood. ;) Japanese anyone?

Now take a look as Small cats versus Big Cats. Most Big Cats can't purr. Small cat's can't ROAR. This is due to the fact that their throat set up has a little bone wrapped around the wind pipe. in Smaller cats, its flexiable. In Larger cats its not. This is what prevents Big Cats from Purring and small cats from Roaring.

Wolves don't have the set up humans do.., but a Gestalt hybrid might have -some- of the features of both. So they could make -sounds- and perhpas mimic certain syllables and noises. Bu they wouldn't have the range, as the very shape of the mouth becomes an elongated muzzle. The lips thin out and become less able to forms around sounds, comparitively.

Now in order to fully pronounce "words" as humans would understand them, they'd have to carefully ennuciate around their teeth and floppy tongue. ;) Ever see a human forcfully ennuciate something. It looks silly. Imagine that one a werewolf muzzle. It becomes bizzarre XD

Now also don't forget that Wolves -do- indeed have their own language. Body language, scents ( very important ), facial expressions, ear expressions, and some sounds and noises.

I see a werewolf "Language" and "speech" as being a hybrid of these two things. For it would fit the physical form a lot better. :)
:wolfpaint:
LinkedIn - Dev Art - Behance - Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She-wolf who stalked the forums when all else sane, slept.